Saturday, May 25, 2013

First take on a 1/35th Scale Tank Model


Since Mr Chaos (Carl) has come back from New Zealand for a short break, him and I were practically hobbying everyday at Hobby Forge. I even lent him a set of keys to the shop so he can do his hobby without distractions.

After I painted a crap load of Dark Eldar models, I've decided to give in and start on some 1/35th scale tanks, just to test out my hobby skills. Being exposed to Carl's tanks totally poisoned me to start this. And it also gave me a good excuse to spend some money on this distraction, which is totally worth it.

We made a trip to our local Tamiya Underground with a bunch of friends to take a look see at what they have. To my surprise, they actually have the last M26 Pershing in stock, my all time favourite tank, instant buy for me!



Seeing as I didn't want to screw up the M26 Pershing, I also picked up a Stug III for a practice tank, it seems simple enough to work on.



But. After rolling a die, the decision was made that I'll be working on the M26 Pershing instead! I mean, how difficult can it be?

This is the process from start till end.



Look at those rubber tracks! They actually work with plastic glue, awesome stuff!


The interestingly detailed manual.



This is the lower hull done with the tracks and road wheels.



Continuing on with the process.



Upper hull in progress.





Finishing the turret with it's accessories.




Spraying the entire model with Tamiya's Olive Drab, totally awesome spray can there, don't forget, really expensive too!



After working on some details, I moved on to working with the decals.




Once the decals are set, I moved on to weathering the tank.















After finishing, we did the obligatory awesome photo shoot for my first tank. These were shot with my phone.





And these were shot with his digital camera.



All in all, I got the model done within 3 days from start to end. I was really engrossed in it and I had a lot of fun!


Next up is the Stug. I was so wrong when I said that this model was easy. It took me more than 10 hours to complete it's assembly.






Apparently the brass etching was meant for really experienced hobbyist, I was totally unprepared for it. I was required to fold these little pieces according to the manual.




The assembly completion.





I'll now work on finishing this model.

Thanks a lot to Carl who guided me throughout the entire process of the M26 Pershing, I learned a lot from him about weathering and photography regarding this side of the hobby.

I shall now proceed to collecting and painting more beautiful tanks and upping my hobby standards. Next one I'm aiming for is definitely a Merkava and maybe an Abrams tank.

5 comments:

FourEyedMonster said...

Wow dude! Fantastic job. Nice progress pictures too. Looking forward to seeing your other finished tank models.

FourEyedMonster said...

Would have loved to see two masters at work! XD

deathkorps said...

Nice work- I had no idea you were interested in scale modelling. I've got a bunch myself I need to get off my ass and paint!

Alvin Khaw said...

Thanks guys, I had no idea I was interested too! Until I was suggested to go take a look at some of the kits!

MrChaos said...

Welcome to the Tank Company Alvin! Haha. :D Nice progress shots, and the finished model is as amazing as ever.

More tanks are awaiting!