Friday, November 20, 2009

Hobby Tutorial - Magnetizing search lights on a Land Raider.

For the past few days I've been held back from doing my hobby stuff thanks to my assignment and some of the business that I'm running. Nevertheless, I found out some very interesting stuff that you can do with magnets and green stuff.

I've assembled most of my second Land Raider today, and as you can see, my table is in a mess.


In fact, my entire room is a mess, not to mention, even my bed wasn't spared from the hobby madness.



I had to use my other table, as my primary hobby table is packed with stuff. Which reminds me that I will need to tidy it up soon!





OK, getting back to topic. I was wondering how could we make a fully WYSIWYG Land Raider and yet not face the difficulty of transporting the said vehicle. The highest point of the Land Raider is definitely the search light in which gives us the dilemma of whether to glue it on or not.

If we actually do glue it, it will risk being snapped of during gaming or transporting, so I thought, why not just magnetize the search light?


I started off by getting some green stuff, drop it into hot water. That actually softens the green stuff a lot! It makes it easier to mix and do whatever you want to it.





Since I've already glued the top part on, I had to do it the hard way. If you want to make it easy, do the green stuff and magnets first before gluing.

I placed the magnet on the opposite side and used another to hold the magnet into position.




With the green stuff I mixed, I used my finger to press it all around the magnet at the opposite side from the nearest hole. Well, like I said, if you already glued it, this is the hard way. Do make sure the magnet is at the centre, you will be able to tell the location of the magnet by watching the one on top.




Cut off the little stand on the search light.




Glue the magnet to the bottom of the search light, and do make sure you're on the right polarity. I did it wrongly. so it naturally repelled and I had to pluck it out to glue it again.





Ta-da! Not only the search light can be kept for transportation, you can also turn it around 360 degrees!



Isn't that awesome?! If only I thought of this earlier I would already use it for most of my vehicles.



Hope you find this short tutorial useful. If you have any questions, do ask either by commenting or emailing me...

Thanks for reading!

No comments: