Thursday, July 2, 2009

How to get a steady hand at painting...

Hi there, I've been missing in action for a long time, primarily due to the fact that I've been busy with club activities since I'm done with the semester. I have some painted stuff, but I'll post them some other time.

A hand that has tremors are a painter's worst nightmare. Everyone's hand vibrates to a certain degree, just a matter of how intense it is...

A few months ago, I experienced a terrible bout of hand tremors. I couldn't do any free hand, especially when it comes to drawing checks on my Orks. I've went to search online on what's going on and what I can do to minimize it.

Here's what I found.

Hand tremors are caused by stress, caffeine, too much alcohol consumption, lack of sleep, lack of blood sugar, and lack of nutrition.

Sometimes, staying up late to paint isn't a very good idea, especially when you're missing sleep. Though I feel like I'm possessed or something whenever I have a long sitting during a painting session, my hands seem fine maybe because of the amount of focus I'm putting in. But when I start to realize that my back hurts, the concentration drops, and with that I will tell myself to go sleep.

Painting releases stress, unless you're having troubles with your minis or paints. Though I think that extreme stress that frustrates the mind will cause your body to be restless, so do take a little break, take a deep breath, lie down, and continue on when you're calm.

One thing that makes my hand tremor the most is when I drink caffeinated drinks a few hours before I paint. I drink Coke, Pepsi or root beer once in a while, that's when I notice my hands tremor a lot. I never drink coffee, though I noticed that my father who drinks like 6-7 cups of coffee a day has serious hand tremors (I notice it when we have dinner and I stare at his hands). Not like he paints, he loves coffee, so I'll let him be.

If you love beer, I'm not gonna stop you, but it is known that excessive intake of alcohol causes hand tremors. It only applies if you had "too much".

Well, a way to prevent yourself from having hand tremors is getting enough rest, relax, or go take a nap. Though I've heard from a friend that taking a teaspoon of peanut butter before you paint will give you a steady hand. I'm not sure about that, but I think I will just give it a go.

Also, do eat properly and that will ensure that your body has all the nutrition it needs. I'm no doctor, so if you need further advice, go see one.

If you have a method that proves true, besides from the putting your hands together when painting, do let me know, I would like to hear...

No comments: